Monday, April 3, 2023

Musical Inspirations

Music is universal. There are different genres of music that appeal to different people, but music itself is something that binds all people together. Watch almost any athlete walking into an arena and they will have their headphones on listening to music. Writers are the same. Most every writer takes inspiration from music. My favorite author, R.A. Salvatore often talks about how Fleetwood Mac inspires his writing.

While writing Relentless Blades, I too was inspired by music. I’ve always prided myself on my eclectic taste in music, but for this novel, I leaned heavily on rock music. The novel is fast-paced, and action packed, and rock just seemed a natural fit.

I can’t possibly list every song I listened to while writing the book over four months, but I can list some of the songs that were in heavy rotation.

“Warrior” and “Indestructible” by Disturbed. Either one of these could be Grimlock’s theme song.

“Back in Black” by ACDC and “Outlaws and Outsiders” by Corey Marks & Travis Tritt. Either one of these could be Vigilanton’s theme song.

“Undefeated,” “Hero,” “Back from the Dead,” “Legendary,” “Feel Invincible,” by Skillet. Overall, I’d say Skillet was the artist with the most songs in rotation.

“Back for More” and “Lift Me Up” by Five Finger Death Punch. Both songs rock hard! My wife said they sound angry. They were great for getting me pumped up to write some of the major fight scenes in the book.

“Judas” by Fozzy

“A Warrior’s Call” by Volbeat. Another great song to get in the mood for a battle scene.

“Saturday Night’s Alright for fighting” by Elton John.

“Wanted Dead or Alive” by Bon Jovi

“Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor

“Training Montage” from Rocky IV by Vince DiCola

“The Touch” by Stan Bush

“The Last Dragon” by Dwight David

“You’re the Best” by Joe “Bean” Esposito

If you listen to some, or all, of these songs, you’ll get great insight into my mindset while writing Relentless Blades, and you’ll enjoy some great music…in my humble opinion. 


2 comments:

  1. First, that's an awsome playlist. Second, I think it's cool that Salvatore used Fleetwood Mac as his muse. Myself, for my current book I mostly listen to medieval-esk music, or the witcher game soundtrack. Otherwise it's 10 years (my #1 favorite band). On the book that never made it past 20k was a lot of harder rock. I seem to write better when I have music that works with the scene's vibe. Not to mention the type of music I'm listening too effects me and my writing greatly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool. It's funny because initially I couldn't write while listening to music, or so I thought. I felt I'd get distracted, but the more I've tried it, the opposite has happened and it's definitely helped motivate me. Keep up the good work.

      Delete

I sympathize with George R.R. Martin

 My apologies for being absent from my blog for months. I don't have a good excuse, so I'll give you the truth. From November 2023 t...