Wednesday, March 22, 2023

The Origins of Relentless Blades

The origins of Relentless Blades starts all the way back at the beginning. For as long as I can remember, I've loved monsters. My love of monsters really has no logical explanation. Both my parents were practical people. My mother loved musicals and my father enjoyed westerns. Neither one of them liked monsters. They can't explain what got me hooked, and I'm not positive myself. 

I just know that some of my earliest memories, around the age of three or four, were of watching Godzilla movies, the old Universal monster movies and King Kong. I loved them all. Long before cable television and streaming services, you had to look in the tv guide each week to see what shows would be on. My mom bought the tv guide every week when she went grocery shopping. As a kid, I'd grab that thing right away and scan every day for possible showings of monster movies. Usually if a monster movie was on, it would be a Saturday or Sunday afternoon at 2pm on a local channel. If at all possible, I made sure to tune in.

My favorite monster of all time is Godzilla. There is something about that giant lizard that I just love. I'll probably devote a whole post to him eventually. My other favorite monster is the werewolf. I find something cool about transforming into another creature and you can bet I worked that theme into Relentless Blades. Aside from those, I like all the different Greek mythological monsters like the minotaur, the chimera, the griffon, cyclops and more.

It's my love of monsters that led me to Dungeons and Dragons. To be continued in my next post...Stranger Things.

 My father painted this for me in 1980, when I was ten-years old. Love you Pop!

Here I am as the Wolfman for Halloween in 1980. Make-up courtesy of my friend, Jace.




3 comments:

  1. I kinda miss the old TV guides and some of my favorite movies were of my bestfriend and I staying up extremely late, watiching monster movies, and eating junk food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt. You had to have the TV guide because there was no such thing as streaming or recording your shows, at least not until the mid-80s for most of us. You either watched it when it was on, or you waited until maybe there was a re-run.

      Delete
    2. That should be memories, not movies. At any rate, I love streaming but I do miss that simple life.

      Delete

The Dallas Cowboys

 As I write this, we're thick in the midst of the NFL playoffs. My Dallas Cowboys were humiliated last week by the upstart Green Bay Pac...