Thursday, January 11, 2024

Short Stories

 It's been awhile since I've made an update. I've been busy submitting Relentless Blades to various literary agents and some publishers, but unfortunately nothing new to report.

I've been plotting out the next installment in the series, but in addition to that, to keep my creative juices flowing, I wrote two short horror stories for submission to Heathen Press Heathen – Thrilling, terrifying horror. They currently have an open submission period for horror stories under 7,500 words. 

The first submission is called The Werewolf of Vincennes. Unsurprisingly, the story is about a werewolf terrorizing the small town of Vincennes, Indiana. It's not a straightforward werewolf tale. It's got a neat little twist that I'm proud of. 

I've loved werewolves since I was a kid and have always felt they don't get the monster respect they deserve. They're constantly overshadowed by the likes of vampires and zombies. I've never done a deep psychological analysis on myself, but I'm sure there is some reason I've always been drawn to characters that transform into other forms. In addition to loving werewolves, the Incredible Hulk is my favorite superhero and I'm a big fan of the Transformers, particularly the dinobot, Grimlock. 

The second story is titled Daddy's Home. It deals with the fascination I've always had about what, if anything, zombies think? Zombies have saturated television and the movies in the past couple decades, but the stories are almost always told from the human point of view. This of course makes sense but has always left me wondering if the zombies think anything. This theme has been touched on by George Romero, godfather of zombies, in movies like Day of the Dead and Land of the dead. Marvel Zombies also presents the superhero zombies thinking and talking. These were inspirations for this story.

The Heathen submission period ends on January 31, 2024. I have my fingers crossed they choose one of the stories for publication. 

On a completely unrelated note, the NFL playoffs are about to start. Go Cowboys!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dallas Cowboys

 As I write this, we're thick in the midst of the NFL playoffs. My Dallas Cowboys were humiliated last week by the upstart Green Bay Pac...